Unpleasant abdominal pressure to abdominal pain, bloating, bloating, diarrhea - the irritable bowel syndrome (in short: irritable bowel syndrome) has many faces. Although irritable bowel is harmless, it is often very unpleasant for those affected. The number of people affected is large, the symptoms varied - as well the name: In addition to irritable bowel synonymous nor the terms irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), irritable bowel syndrome (IDS), or irritable bowel syndrome are common. Since symptoms often occur in the digestive system of the large intestine, the term irritable bowel syndrome or - because of abdominal cramps - spastic colon is used; If the stomach is in the foreground of the symptoms, the term irritable stomach is common.
Irritable bowel as a generic term
Irritable bowel is a generic term for functional bowel disease. These are constant or recurring complaints in the gastrointestinal tract, for which no physical cause can be found. In fact, the diagnosis irritable bowel syndrome may only be made when such diseases have been excluded by means of various diagnostic measures.
Accurate frequency data are difficult; Guesses are 8 to 15% (or even higher). Affected are twice as many women as men. The causes of irritable bowel syndrome are unknown. Symptoms are annoying to unpleasant, but harmless. Focus of treatment for irritable bowel syndrome are rearranging the diet and educating the sufferer that no serious illness is underlying.
Irritable bowel: This helps against the discomfort
Be sure to eat regularly: If possible, you should take between three and five meals a day. The individual meals should not be too large, so that the gastrointestinal tract is not unnecessarily burdened. In addition, it is also important that you take enough time for meals: eat in peace and do not swallow down your food.
More tips for irritable bowel:
- In addition to sensible eating habits, enough exercise can help alleviate your discomfort. Exercise regularly - this keeps your body fit and you can reduce stress. Relaxation techniques such as yoga or autogenic training are also well suited for stress relief.
- Build in your daily routine of rest and relaxation in order to be able to switch off specifically.
- For acute ailments, a hot water bottle can help alleviate the discomfort.
- Tip: To find the trigger of your complaints, it can be helpful to keep a journal. In it you can on the one hand note, which foods you ate and how strong your complaints were. On the other hand, it can also be noted in the diary how you felt on the individual days and how great, for example, the workload was.
Irritable bowels: You should avoid that
- Do not eat irregularly and do not skip meals. Because omitting meals can lead to starvation attacks, in which you quickly reach for the wrong foods. In addition, you should try to always eat in peace. So avoid eating while working or watching TV. After your meal, take a break, take a short walk or a short nap.
- If your gut is irritated, you should definitely avoid certain foods. These are primarily foods that have a strong flatulent effect. These foods include, for example, cabbage or legumes. Even fatty snacks are not suitable because they put a heavy strain on digestion. Instead, go back to fruits or vegetables - they are easily digestible.
- Do not let your complaints determine your life: In spite of everything, try to think positively and continue to participate in social life.